Sunday, October 7, 2007

On Evolving Forms

Chikako Nagayama

In subtle and playful ways, Harvey Chan’s and Yumi Onose’s works unwind our commonsense knowledge of reality. Their art presentations here are a series of ‘organic science fiction’, I would say. As much as their imageries resonate with our nostalgia for what has been lost, they speak to our desires for what is yet to be seen.

We are not only who we are. But also we are constant ‘becoming’. While my consciousness claims my continuous identity, my body’s cells pass on their lives to the next generation of cells in various cycles. We are born as humans, but human embryos appear to repeat a cycle of evolution process from fish to reptiles to mammals.

“Where am I heading, if I am ‘becoming’?,” you might ask. “Will I be the same, or will I be different?” Organic forms by Harvey and Yumi prompt the zero point of our ‘becoming’. Don’t worry - just stop and see. Forms are often more eloquent than words.

We are destined to change, therefore, made to be vulnerable. Thus our need to be interdependent with other beings. Love is the flip side of evolution, indeed.